- Duration: 1.5 to 2 hours
- Clinic leaders: Need 2 members to volunteer
- Demo gear: 2 or 3 rigged sails on land by the picnic table
- Knowledge: If possible, people should look at the videos on the club website prior to the clinic. All levels, welcome.
- Wind: 5-15 knots. If 20+ knots then for L2 & L3 members. Focus on high-wind helitack, carving fast tack, duck gybe, slam-gybe
- Introductions (by the picnic tables) - 5 min
- Your name and what you want to learn in basic freestyle
- Clinic leader(s), explain why basic freestyle is a great way to help you improve your windsurfing
- Clinic leader(s) can work together with a large group, or split into smaller groups depending on size & need.
- On-Land demo and simulation - 30 min
- First round - 15 min
- Clinic leader(s) - 10 min - demo one or more: 360 sail-flip, tack, fast tack, clew-first, backwind, helitack, upwind 360, duck tack, etc.
- Now it's your turn. In a group, people rotate/round-robin to try some basic freestyle moves.
- Everyone observes
- Second round - 15 min
- Clinic leaders(s), feedback on key points and more demo
- Everyone, try some more & observe
- On water - 45 min
- Demo - 15 min
- Anyone want to give it a try first on water?
- Clinic leader(s), demo a bunch of moves
- Practice on your own - 30 min
- Stay close to shore so others can observe and so you can swap gear quickly without losing time.
- You're doing basic freestyle, so you should be tacking and gybing a lot, without sailing too far.
- Re-convene and debrief- 15-min
- Share/show - what did you learn? Questions?
- Other resources: see the notes on the website, Locarno Windsurfing Facebook Messenger, "Windsurfing Wednesdays".
- Other announcements - club trips, more clinics, etc.
Some basic freestyle moves
This list focuses more on tacks than on gybes for now.
- SR - Basic windsurfing tack on a big floaty board*.
- Dexterity and muscle memory. Flip the sail 360 degrees using two hands, or one-handed, on-land or on-water
- Heli-Tack (back-winded)
- TWS - Shows sailing clew-first, and sailing back-winded
- Upwind-360 (back-winded)
- Duck Tack (begin standing in "switch-stance")
* What are those abbreviations - JH, GH, SR, and TWS?
The tutorials shown above are from the following YouTube channels. Highly recommended.